Scottish Cycling is the governing body for cycle sport in Scotland.Back
Well, put simply you wouldn’t be reading this page without Scottish Cycling!
Although the funding partners have all contributed greatly to the DMBinS project - this project wouldn’t exist without the persistence and belief in mountain biking shown by the senior management and board of Scottish Cycling!
That belief has stemmed from years of partnership working in hosting and helping facilitate the Mountain Bike Leader Association (MBLA) award scheme which is responsible for qualifying over 8000 leaders across the UK. It could be argued the growth of mountain biking is closely related to the number of MBLA leaders who are delivering the activity often on a daily to weekly basis.
Scottish Cycling is also breaking new ground with its pioneering approach to developing athletes through the BASE Downhill programme. Employing a National Downhill Coach to oversee a college course which is developing our talented downhill riders into champions. Cross Country is also very much on Scottish Cycling’s radar with a National Performance Coach preparing athletes to take on the world and, hopefully, deliver success for mountain biking at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow in 2014.
With a network of Regional Development Officers who are developing Go-Ride clubs. Supporting these clubs to run high quality coaching and grassroots races across the country. Scottish Cycling plays an extremely, arguably most, important role in developing the sport of mountain biking across Scotland.Back
Well technically you wont! Although Scottish Cycling is the National Governing Body for cycle sport in Scotland it is a region within British Cycling, which is the governing body for cycle sport in the whole of the UK.
Let us explain –You will join British Cycling as a Scottish member. This has a range of fantastic benefits including:
- Discounts at a wide range of retailers across UK
- A weekly email newsletter from British Cycling keeping you up to date with the latest cycling news and articles from cycling experts
- Scottish riders being supported by British Cycling for events such as Olympics and UCI events.
- A dynamic website which features articles with mountain biking stars!
- Great Insurance Cover that can cover you when you are riding for leisure or racing in the UK or abroad
- A Race licence to enter events across the whole of the UK and gain ranking points for national standings
When you join you can access all of the above benefits but as a Scottish member you also get at no extra cost direct from Scottish Cycling newsletters and regular email updates about cycling in Scotland
The more members Scottish Cycling has the more influence it has in the corridors of power in Scottish Government at Holyrood! By joining Scottish Cycling you are providing more reason for Government to support mountain biking in Scotland!
This all sounds great – how do I join. Just click the link below which will take you over to British Cycling’s website. You can then select the type of membership that suits you best.Back
Clubs are Scottish Cycling members. All clubs have the opportunity to participate in the governance of cycle sport in Scotland. This gives your club and its members a voice to influence the direction of our sport in Scotland.
A club joining Scottish Cycling also comes with an array of different benefits including:
- Great Insurance Cover which gives your club peace of mind
o £10m public liability cover for the club, club officials, coaches and leaders during club activities.
- Support from Regional Development Officers
o Helping run events and coaching activities for your members
o Ideas for recruiting volunteers
o Promotion of your club
o Supporting your coaches, leaders and volunteers with continued professional development opportunities
o Representing your club at regional meetings – ensuring your voice is heard!
- Great range of Coaching & Leadership Awards to give your volunteers the skills and knowledge to help your club members progress
- Club volunteers have opportunities for discounts on coaching courses
- Assistance with Child Protection issues – including help with Disclosure Scotland forms.
- Linking your club with regional centres who have a wealth of cycling knowledge to draw from including Commissaires and race officials.
For no extra cost you will also be offered direct from Scottish Cycling
- Club updates posted on the SC website
The more clubs Scottish Cycling has registered the more influence it has in the corridors of power in Scottish Government at Holyrood! By joining Scottish Cycling you are providing more reason for Government to support mountain biking in Scotland!
This all sounds great – how do I join my club up. Click the link below which will take you over to Scottish Cycling’s website where the process is real simple – the way we like it!Back