The Scottish Mountain Bike Friendly Accommodation Provider of the Year Award will recognise and highlight the best bike friendly accommodation providers, to help riders find the best places to stay in Scotland.
We also hope that this Award will serve to highlight good practice so we can raise the overall standard for mountain bikers visiting Scotland.
The winner of this award for 2019 is - The Glentress Hotel
Murray and Alexandra met in Morzine in the summer of 2009 whilst Murray was mountain biking. Fast forward 6 years, 2 children and several careers later and they moved to Peebles in 2015 in looking for an outdoor lifestyle and a friendly, active community which would offer a great family life within striking distance of the central belt. Murray (a very keen mountain biker and borders lad) and Alex (a keen hill runner from warmer climates) were frustrated with the lack of family friendly dining and didn’t understand why a town like Peebles with all its outdoor amenities and natural beauty didn’t have the type of café’s or restaurants theyd seen in the alps or even in Southern England.
So when the opportunity came up - they bought the hotel at the foot of Glentress and went about setting up a business they thought the area suited. Reviews and feedback to date show that they have done a good thing. Aims being:-
1. Provide a family friendly all-day dining experience at the foot of a key leisure attraction for both locals and tourists.
2. Replicate the type of active lifestyle focused destination tourism we had seen in the Alps.
3. Create a viable business from a prime site that was undervalued.
4. Leverage the natural beauty, fantastic produce, reputation and obvious potential of the Tweed Valley.
5. Build a sustainable long term family business in markets we were passionate about i.e. adventure sports and hospitality.
6. Use local suppliers, produce, work force and reinstate a loyal local trade and attract visitors.
7. Act ethically as an employer and strive to reduce environmental impact.
8. Live to the following mantra; “Ride, Eat, Relax, Repeat”
Shortlisted for 2019
Cleikum Mill Lodge, Innerleithen
“What a fantastic place to stay! We went as a group of 12 and filled up the entire Mill. There was loads of space for us and the bikes. It is just set up as the perfect MTB base. Easy cycling access to Glentress and Innerleithen Trail Centres - beautiful ride along the Tweed Valley to Glentress. Golfie is also easy to get to. The Traquair Arms looked after us very well, good beer and food, with really helpful staff. Cafe across the road serves the best wraps that I have ever had! Well worth trying the Indian takeaway on the main street. We arranged to have a day of coaching from Andy and Allan at Ridelines on the second day of our trip. Finally after 20 plus years of riding we have all learned to MTB properly! Everyone enjoyed the sessions and we have all come out of it as much better bikers.”
Glentress Forest Lodges
The business was started to provide affordable accommodation for mountain bikers and others who love the great outdoors. They have now been operating for 10 years and the business has grown over time from 10 pods to now 21! The accommodation is quite unique to the area and is on the doorstep to Glentress forest. Secure bike storage is provided plus the opportunity to have campfires.
Previous year’s winners
Comrie Croft - Scottish MTB Friendly Accommodation Provider of the Year 2018
Cleikum Mill Lodge - Scottish MTB Friendly Accommodation Provider of the Year 2017
Comrie Croft – Scottish MTB Friendly Accommodation Provider of the Year 2016